[cma-l] Question Re Community Radio Order Interview.

SIR .scot sir.scot at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 20:25:49 GMT 2015

Hello Dom,

Community Radio Order.‏

Question:

‘Post the public consultation and the unanimious
conclusion that the ‘Ban on Advertising and Sponsorship’ should be removed – why has
the conclusion been ignored and Radio Broadcasters are compelled to broadcast
within the limitations of a “Comand Economy” controlled by ‘The Nanny State’
when Westminster demands that we live in a “Free Economy”?.

I am mindful of your interviewee, and the probable
response to any questions that they do not understand/have not been briefed on.
However,  having been involved in radio
for more years than I can remember, I’m just a wee bit irked, by this
pernicious and protracted ‘Ban’.

As I understand it, (I may, be pleased to be corrected)
said ‘ban’ was imposed on legitimate licence holders to protect the viability
of “ILR” – which is long dead and buried. Replaced by, arguably “IR”
(Independent Radio). Many licensed broadcasters brows would still furrow up at
this ‘Disguise’ as “IR”, on a large part, has been consumed by large
corporations, both on and off shore. Which was not really, the ambition of “ILR”
.

The earliest ambitions (that are still fresh in my
mind) of the then IBA was to appease and plicate disgruntled and disenfranchised
broadcasters by offering them an opportunity, not to be naughty and apply for
an “Incremental” or “Community radio Licence” with the alledge temporary ban on
Sponsorship and Advertising so as not to undermine the existing “ILR” network.

Good times came and went. Many “ILR” station owners
made their wad. Then times got tough and they sold up to the highest bidder on
or off shore. (Including “Incremental and Community Radio Stations became the
property of multinationals). As these “Incremental” and CR stations are now
only, merely and do nothing other than ‘Relay’ another “IR” stations output,
which of course includes “Sponsorship and Advertising” i.e. IR’s and CR’s are
already circumventing the Ban, and the time for “ILR” – “to become established
and stand on it’s own two feet” has long since passed. It seems to me at least
that this inappropriate and pernicious Ban must be removed forthwith – if only
to maintain the credibility of the broadcasting regulatory authorities?

We are poised, if not in the midst of “The Digital
Switch Over”?...

Allegedly, “IR” et al are going to ‘Let Go’ of their
FM/AM frequencies and render, some of them to “Local Radio Stations” – AM frequencies
at lest?

The question here then,  is ‘Will these new local AM stations be ‘Banned’
from Sponsorship and Advertising too’?

Westminster, who control OfCom (who took over the
role of the IBA), who in turn control/licence UK broadcasting, really need to
start to accept that the proposed widening of broadcasting requires to be ‘Funded
Fairly’.

Westminster, is determined that we live in a “Free
Market Economy” i.e. “The Market” (Buyers and Sellers) should dictate the “Market”
and not “The Granny
 State”.

If, Westminster, via OfCom – decrees, that CR and the
new “Local AM” stations must become established, produce acceptable broadcasting
that people want to listen too - of a standard that complies with OfCom licence
stipulations, there Must be a realisation and acceptance that ‘Broadcasting
exists within a Free Market’ and not the opposite: a ‘Command Economy’ which is
controlled and governed by the whims of government - that affords some parts of
a market privileges that it Bans other parts of the market from having?

Regards.

John Morrison.

SIR.