[cma-l] imaging and the announcement

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Mon Jan 19 14:26:57 GMT 2015

Dear All

The Station Manager conversation is always a corker I reckon. Station
Managers in Community Radio are NOT really like Managers in other businesses

. We tend to be more of General Dogs Bodies and Gophers

. Has anyone
else experienced this ??   when we set out on this venture in 2004 I was
prepared to do whatever was needed to get the project up and running and
then tootling along. I aimed at doing about 20 hours a week and receiving
nothing but a few expenses. The 20 hours then became 25 and then very
quickly became 35 and then 40. A slight re-think was needed and it was
decided that I was to receive a little tickle £££ or 2

.. obviously, at
40 hours one or two of the other thing that I do had to be pushed slightly
to one side (ie   my job)

..

In 2007 just before launching full-time we needed another serious re-think
as without realising it  I was now doing 50 hours !
obviously the great question appeared from nowhere which was ‘’a good
Manager delegates’’
. All well and good,if, you have folk around you to
delegate to. We had lots of volunteers, but they were merely doing the shows
and then goodnight Vienna see ya next week. You end up with the same five
running the whole process, and therefore they are the five who receive a
little tickle £££      the situation in a roundabout way answered itself.

Are there any other Stations who are where they are today of course through
deliberate actions but also and element of fate and luck and basic HARD
GRAFT from a few people. Those people may also define their job description
as General Dogs Bodies and Gophers.

I say all of this without being derogatory to anyone

. My hours are now
averaging at 70 whilst receiving Part-Time pay. I’m not complaining, I am
merely making a point and giving you all the facts.

I reckon others are in the same Boat

..if they ain’t, then we’re doing
something wrong. But alas, we’ve been running for 12 years next year !  we
must surely be doing something right and our / my approach as you can see is
most definitely not Blue Chip big Management, it’s hard graft on the
treadmill.

Regards

Nick

  _____