[cma-l] Community Radio Order Update from the CMA Chair

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Wed Jan 14 18:41:12 GMT 2015

I suggest you read my long winder Andy              I have just sent it
...... I'm afraid to say the Circus rumbles on and a bigger debacle it
becomes.

If nothing happens this time there are two options    PUT UP and take action
or crawl under a log and SHUT UP. If we do that we are slowly doomed and
there will be absolutely no hope for the likes of you. Like you point out
and as Queen sing ''another one bites the dust !''

However my gut feeling is that your particular restriction will be lifted ..
That will put Canalside Radio in a very very very unique position . I
believe we will make history as the ONLY COMMUNITY RADIO STATION to be
lifted out of restrictions (notice the words LIFTED OUT OF) for the
completely WRONG reasons        ie:- not because it was debated fairly, not
because it was the right and moral thing to do, but because the local
commercial station decided they wanted a power boost, and at the drop of a
Hat (and a little word in the lughole from George Osbourne)   Ofcom said
''OK no probs''    and we came out of the restrictions as the total number
of folk went from 116,000 up to 240,000. This was a nonsense anyway as the
MCA figures were fudged and the TSA was excellent anyway and reception good.
This in itself was 100% wrong and was 100% insulting. I told Ofcom to stick
the restrictions where the Sun doesn't shine and that they could leave us in
the restrictions . I wanted to be lifted out of the restrictions for the
right reasons and NOT because we were playing second and/or third/fourth
fiddle to silk fm and the commercial boys.

Over the years we grow older and we mellow  I'm 55 now, and sometimes we
look back at things we have said, things we have done, viewpoints and we
think .mmm ?  maybe I got that slightly wrong. I know my methods could have
been a little different and I do know I upset a couple of people because
perhaps in hindsight I was a bit rude and I truly am sorry for that . but .
having said all of that the arguments and points I have put forward are
valid, I will stand up and be counted and even be arrogant and say I am
right, and looking back over those 11 years, would I changed anything and
back down .. No I wouldn't, I stand by everything I say, because the points
are the best points and the right points. This isn't about opinions it is
about the proof of the pudding being in the eating.

Basically, we need to implement what I have said and then all come back to
me in 12 months and tell me I was wrong ... I bet no one can.

Keep those fingers crossed .. You'll be OK   trust me, I know how they
operate. The big question is whether tiny little crumb like offerings are
now going to be traded off against the big decisions.

Nick

  _____