[cma-l] Community Radio Spot Rate

Canalside's The Thread office at thethread.org.uk
Mon Feb 2 15:05:57 GMT 2015

Mmm ?

there’s the old adage           ‘’we’re worth, what we can get’’
and no more.

It’s a bit similar to going to a record fair, it depends which area you go
to. A vintage record on the circuit and going for around £75 quid, might
only fetch £15 at a different venue.

Some areas are more wealthy than others ?   is this Station operating in an
area of deprivation and less businesses per-head ?

It’s a learning curve setting the rates
. What some consider cost effective
others may think too much                we have a Package 1
 it cost’s =
£123.34p for the WHOLE YEAR     I won’t go into what you get but certainly a
pub or organisation that put events is onto a winner as they get to use our
events planner for free, they get an advert popping up here and there and a
logo on the website

..one woman who runs a bar in Macclesfield told me
that our prices were      wait for it    ‘’extortionate’’  !!!     her words
not mine, and how could any business afford that sort of cost ?? !
I explained   ‘’no no no’’   ‘’there seems to be a misunderstanding’’
‘’this isn’t weekly or monthly, this is for the whole year’’

She said words to the effect of ‘’no chance’’

The business does appear here and there but mainly in the areas where they
can FREE-LOAD. And there lies another problem
. Some people seem to think
that because we are Community Radio and we are Voluntary led then everything
for some bizarre reason is free ??      this Lady was of a similar opinion,
and got quite uppity.

I informed her that I was coming to Town on the Friday with 6 of my mates,
and we were so enthused by the Bar that we were going to spend the whole
evening in there drinking

.. presuming of course that all the Beer was
free   ??????

Even after being sarcastic, she simply didn’t ‘get it’ ??     it seems to be
rife in our business doesn’t it ?   this ‘’’not getting it’’’ ?

Nick

  _____