[cma-l] Ofcom publishes applications for small scale DAB trials

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 15:07:47 BST 2015

Ian,

I don't see anything particularly wrong with a commercial approach per se.
Indeed many community stations may not want the hassle, or not be the best
type of organisation to run a reliable, sustainable mux.  So why not have a
company that delivers that service?

Where I would have a problem would be if incumbent Mux operators were
allowed to bid for them.  This would present a real risk that they repeat
the pricing model they have for existing DAB - undermining the whole point
of the project!

My working assumption here is that any DAB mux would contain a number of
services.  In theory I guess a mux could just be one service, and in that
circumstance it would most sensibly be operated by that community station.
But surely Ofcom would not encourage such inefficient use of spectrum (a
DAB mux uses an identical amount of spectrum whether it contains one
station or 20)

Glyn

--
Glyn Roylance - Principal Consultant