[cma-l] BBC CMA Media Day

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 16:32:53 GMT 2014

*To CMA Members*

 *RE: BBC CMA Media Day*

I am aware that many of our members have been contacted by their local BBC
stations to get the ball rolling on this exciting project which is the
first time the CMA and BBC will work together on a national pilot. This
will build on the good relationships that have already developed in many
parts of the country between local BBC stations and community media
organisations. As we look to forming closer relationships with the BBC this
scheme is designed to raise awareness of the value of the community and BBC
broadcast sectors to each other as we all go about the business of public
service broadcasting.

To my mind the value to both networks of closer partnerships can be
summarised as:

   - The BBC has good facilities, journalist and broadcasting expertise
   that can be of great benefit to the work of our members.

   - Community broadcaster’s capacity for generating local stories as well
   as capabilities for community and local audience engagement should be, and
   in some cases is, of interest to enhancing the BBC local remit.

   - This project is more than a BBC training offer. It is the opportunity
   for both networks to gain higher understanding of the others work for
   mutual and audience benefit.

Participation is open to participating BBC stations and CMA members who are
up-to-date with their membership and Canstream invoices. Culminating in a
day of mutual broadcasting, scheduled for the third week of February the
broad schedule of this pilot scheme looks something like this:

   - *November:* An invitation is issued by the BBC local station to local
   CMA members to attend a project set up meeting. It is expected that this
   initial meeting will take place at the BBC station and will be an
   opportunity for all participants to share how they see the project
   developing and what they need to get out of it. This ‘brain stormer’ should
   establish the training needs the BBC will offer in support of project
   delivery. Forward planning should include BBC operatives visiting community
   stations to understand their modus operandi in generating stories and
   engaging their communities and audiences.

   - *December:* Partners meet according to the schedule established.
   Workshops to include guidance on libel, defamation and active court cases.
   All parties to establish what makes a good story.

   - *January:* Ideas pitching session - what do the team want to work on
   and which will be the most appropriate shows to participate?

   - *February:* Partners work together to support the development of
   broadcast content for the BBC CMA Media Day. Content can include packages
   and shared studio broadcasts or OB’s. The teams will ensure that broadcast
   material meets BBC standards. Community stations which are not able to take
   part in this day will be given access to training resources.

This project is between the CMA and BBC English Regions.  Both
organisations will cooperate in a full evaluation process that generates a
report. This will be the starting point for the next national project and
partnership development. The CMA will take the report to other parts of the
UK where it can inform regional partnership development ideas.

Please remember this is a pilot project so it will not be possible to
involve everyone that might want to participate. We won’t get everything
right on this occasion but I believe this represents the right direction
for our sector to be going in with the BBC.

I would encourage any of our members who are approached to warmly embrace
the opportunities  the BBC CMA Media Day project offers.

Best to all,

 *Dom Chambers*

*Chair*

*Mobile*: +44 (0) 7802 457 396