[cma-l] Raspberries, Steroids and Low Cost DAB

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 11:34:12 GMT 2014

We could argue about the benefits of DAB all day, and we're all up against it when it comes to forking out more cash. But, let's put it this way: Do you stream your stations? When we first started streaming in (About 1997) the audience wasn't huge and the costs climbed - and continue to do so. But we do it, because listeners expect it. There may come a time when our listeners also expect us to be on DAB. What happens when your listeners buy a new car, or a new radio that has DAB. They can get the BBC in digital, but need to push a few buttons to get your station. Think of it as future-proofing. This is not me saying "FM is dead" far from it, but we all should consider where our listeners might be. For our listeners we know the online is the preferred platform, but we are still thinking about DAB. Having a clear run at the whole FM band for community radio would be great, but in 10 years time is that like asking someone to listen to long wave? It's a perfectly fine technology, but less people will have access to it and it might feel a bit old fashioned. Just a thought

Richard

Richard Berry
Spark FM Station Manager
Room 101B, David Puttnam Media Centre,