[cma-l] Deducing FM listening figures

Terry Lee t.lee at futureradio.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 11:22:40 BST 2013

Andy, Matthew, and all,

At Future Radio we have always tried to keep tabs on some credible listener figures - we did a survey this summer which can explain the bold claim in my email signature! As a result, we have an answer to that most common of questions (estimated 21,000 listeners weekly, 42,000 monthly).

Yes - I appreciate that the number of listeners (and the competitiveness of comparing figures with other stations etc) SHOULD not be particularly important for a community radio station - however, it has been essential for us in getting media partnerships and advertising revenue (important for us with fewer funding pots available for covering core costs). As long as we keep our community ethos, and don't try to sound like a commercial radio offering (we don't), having a commercial strategy for the station is the right thing for us. Listener surveys form part of the strategy.

I will be happy to send a copy of our listener survey to CMA members on this forum on request - which explains the methodology. I can say this much - Future Radio was not involved in the street survey/ data capture or the write-up of the report. And in asking over 400 people for their views, we got a lot more peoples' listening habits captured than RAJAR would have. It's not cheap, but it's not RAJAR expensive either. And it's worth it.

Terry

Terry Lee
Station Manager
Future Radio
Direct Dial: 01603 255841
Tel: 01603 455250 Fax: 01603 507440
168b Motum Rd, Norwich, Norfolk, NR5 8EG.

Future Radio - 42,000* Listeners Tuning in Every Month!
(*Blueprint Research & Training, May 2013)

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CEAEE1.3A0984A0]<http://www.futureradio.co.uk>[cid:image002.gif at 01CEAEE1.3A0984A0]<http://www.facebook.com/FutureRadio>[cid:image003.jpg at 01CEAEE1.3A0984A0]<http://twitter.com/#!/futureradio>[cid:image004.gif at 01CEAEE1.3A0984A0]<http://www.youtube.com/futureradionorwich>

[cid:image005.jpg at 01CEAEE1.3A0984A0]<http://www.futureradio.co.uk/advertise>
Before printing, think about the environment!
P It takes 24 trees to produce 1 ton of office paper!
Please note that Internet email is not a fully secure method of communication. You should be aware of this lack of security when emailing us!
Future Projects is a social inclusion charity for young people and adults in Norwich and Norfolk.
Registered Charity Number: 1103200