[cma-l] Charity limited company

Phil Shep phil at somersetfilm.com
Sun Sep 11 13:41:14 BST 2011

Hi Claire

Somerset Film has been a company limited by guarantee since 1998 ­ and has
had charity status since 2002.  In lay terms the charity status simply
Œwrapped itself round¹ the company structure and is not a separate body.  We
continue to trade the company as before but with the advantages of the
charitable status.  If you were to do the same your company number would
remain the same as ours has done.  I can understand  that there may be
implications for the wording of the licence agreement but I¹d say it was
worth further investigation before setting up a separate parallel body - a
simple amendment to the descriptor of your company in the licence should
surely suffice?   If you do have to go that route then I guess you would set
up a charitable trust linked to the activities of the trading arm?

Your hopefully

Phil