[cma-l] Charity limited company

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Sun Sep 11 19:29:07 BST 2011

On 11/09/2011 13:41, Phil Shep wrote:
> Somerset Film has been a company limited by guarantee since 1998 --
> and has had charity status since 2002.  In lay terms the charity
> status simply 'wrapped itself round' the company structure and is not
> a separate body.  We continue to trade the company as before but with
> the advantages of the charitable status.  If you were to do the same
> your company number would remain the same as ours has done.

This is what I was suggesting in my e-mail.

>  I can understand  that there may be implications for the wording of
> the licence agreement

As the licence would still he held by the same body I can't see this
being needed.

Also:
On 11/09/2011 09:28, Tony Bailey wrote:
> I think the regulations require independent trustees, which might not
> fit a limited company profile.

The trustees of a charity that is a Company Limited by Guarantee are the
Directors of the company. As a charity trustee you can not receive any
payment from the charity (other than out of pocket expenses and a few
extremely specific exceptions of being paid for 'professional
services'.) This means that a director of the company can not be an
employee. If any of the current directors of Stroud Community Radio
Limited are employees they would have to stand down as directors or
cease being an employee once you became a Registered Charity.

Phil.