[cma-l] Charity limited company

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 12 13:28:26 BST 2011

Recognise that you do not have to be one or the other.

Your existing legal structure can handle the station. You can always establish other legal entities to handle specific parts of your organisation; training is one obvious sector.

We created a charity to look after Friends of the Station: to fundraise for a variety of causes, to build a sense of community.

If that charity is unlikely to exceed an income of £5,000 pa then it does not have to be registered with the Charity Commissioners. It can, however, be registered with Inlnad Revenue & Customs, and so accept tax-deductible donations.

You may also set up a limited company to sell product, which in turn donates money to the station.

Complex - yes it all is. Rest assured that our Prime Minister is working hard to remove such inconsistencies - he's said so.

Trevor Lockwood