[cma-l] It's "LOCAL TV" not "COMMUNITY TV" (was:Re: UK wide advertising for community radio ( and laterpossibly TV...))

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Sep 6 19:14:18 BST 2011

On 06/09/2011 11:44, Office - ccr-fm wrote:
> the recent goings on
> regarding the ‘free-for-all’ community TV advertising and all stops
> being pulled out is leaving Mr Hunt and his gang wide open in a ‘turkey
> shoot’

First off to be clear I'm not picking on Nick at Canalside - I've heard
the same from numerous people, both on and off this mailing list.

I'm going to be blunt:

Jeremy Hunt's "baby" is LOCAL TELEVISION NOT COMMUNITY TELEVISION (sorry
for shouting).

All the reports have been around such a thing being "commercially
viable" - his famous comparison between Birmingham USA and Birmingham UK
is comparing commercial outfits (who in the US are affiliates to a
national network - sound like ITV 20 years+ ago anyone?)

Now it would be nice if community media got "an in" on the action - but
it's a long way to go to make local TV work in the UK - for a case study
look at the millions that GMG invested in "Channel M" and where they are
now....

I may be in danger of turning into a "grumpy old man" in the mold of
Nick on this one but just had to get this one off my chest.

Regards,
Phil Edmonds
(Insert disclaimer that these are personal views not those of any
employer etc here.)