[cma-l] UK wide advertising for community radio ( and laterpossibly TV...)

Office - ccr-fm office at ccr-fm.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 11:44:04 BST 2011

Shirley and Community Team                   (post this if you wish Eleanor)

Good points as always and my complaints and fight continues in various and
whatever form it happens to manifest itself. I have made some recent
postings on a couple of websites.

Quite interesting actually that after 4 years of talking and pleading to a
brick wall the fact of the matter is that the likes of you and I may be left
with the absolute only final alternative.

I don't know whether you spotted my post about a month ago followed by two
others which in a traditional 'long-winded' way pointed out exactly what you
are saying. Mr Hunt and the band of merry men seem to be pulling out all the
stops to allow a free for all on community television, our fraturnity has
one rule for one and a different rule for others (and don't we just know it)
plus the commercial boys can pull the wool over everybodies eyes as they
parade round bragging their figures to one set of people, but pleading
poverty to others when it suits.

I'm the plain old northern lad, strong inth' arm weak inth' head .... but
even a dimwit like me can see the reality .... sadly, the graduates,
professors, A-level, degree brigade can't .... or               don't want
to.

Here lies the crux of the matter .... I have been trying to establish which
one it is (may be it is both?)   but one thing is for sure, if someone
stands in front of us and clearly laughs in our face plus the fact that they
have no intention of improving and changing something, then at least have
the balls to stand up and say so. Once the dirty deed has been done then the
likes of Swindon and Canalside and the other 14 have a decision to make. On
a lot smaller scale of course it is the same as those poor people in Egypt
and Syria and Libya ..... when oppressed and when ones requests are spat
back in yer face you only have one option left                 and you take
your chances.

I will re-itterate once again ...... Do not be so cock-sure that the
authorities will win this debate, they may not .... They have broken trading
laws, they have also along the way licensed stations that have been breaking
the law for years and if the debate finally comes down to the
magistrate/judge applying the ''well who has been more than reasonable''
science ...... there is only one winner. WE have been more than reasonable
and some, keeping our noses clean whilst struggling along and getting kicked
from all sides.

The danger of course for the Government / DCMS .... Is that if one skittle
gets knocked down, there'll be a stampede of the other 15 ..... 16 stations
suing for compensation doesn't look good and costs money, it also wastes
time and energy that could be better spent doing what we are good at.

The whole thing is a nonsense, I have been saying this for 4 years, month in
month out, it is reaching a climax and the recent goings on regarding the
'free-for-all' community TV advertising and all stops being pulled out is
leaving Mr Hunt and his gang wide open in a 'turkey shoot'

I'm sure everyone is fully aware of the rules, the reasons and the nonsense
....... for the record, here they are one more time.

1)       Commercial radio complaining about their viability .... if the
areas of operation are small then common sense tells us that it is all
relative. If it is apparently difficult for the small local commercial
outfit then it is equally difficult for the community station and visca
versa.

2)       Most of these so called independent stations are NOT independent
stations and operate within a group ... they take national ads as well as
regional and local. This hardly makes it sensible or reasonable for Ofcom to
apply rules stopping us from running a 15 second ditty for our local
butcher.

3)       The community fraturnity are searching and seeking desperately to
find extra funding opportunities for us (most recently a national
advertising agency) the likes of Canalside and Swindon etc are immediately
unable to take part due to the restrictions             this is totally &
utterly unacceptable.

4)       The 25 watt rule and the 5km is also a complete joke, and ones
community should be determined by the boundaries of THAT community and not
by Government officials in London who don't even know where the place is and
couldn't point it out on a map if it was staring them in the face.

5)       We are charitable, we are not-for-profit, we are not here to damage
anyone. We have no quarrel with anyone ...... however, I do have a quarrel
with people who want to trash us, restrict us, thwart us, stamp on us and
get rid of us ... if they want a ding dong, they can have one ... I
personally would rather take the peaceful route though.

This is a shambles, it gets dafter every week that goes by and I am
concerned that the Government clearly do not understand the implications. I
am beavering away at our local MP constantly, who was at an event only a few
weeks ago, and we got mentioned in dispatches whereby he was praising us for
our commitment, tenacity, and the fact that we wouldn't ''give him a break''
he wants things changing just to get me out of his face :-)   LOL

That's it basically .......    I will once again through this column state
that I do NOT condone breaking laws, rules and regulations .... However, in
a business/venture that is meant to be fun and 100% community based when
people are forced up against a brick wall in a cul-de-sac with no where else
to go then it's roll up your sleeves and give it a go.

Shame on all of those who have let it get to this situation ...... you are a
disgrace !

Point made, with nothing else to say really. I'm ready for a scrap, I'd like
the CMA on side plus the other 15, plus many from our fraturnity who have at
least got some moral standards and don't play the ''well I'm alright Jack
card''  ..... as far as I am concerned, that is NOT the ethos of Community
Radio, and I should not be in a position whereby I am spending most of my
time whinging and stuck in a negative hole ..'I think it was Phil who
replied to one of my posts the other week encouraging me to be more positive
... we want to be, but can't (come and av' a bit of what we're getting,
perhaps your view will change      .. yes, we do have positive work to do
...... Mr Hunt .... please allow us to do it.

Get rid of this nonsense NOW !

Could our chaps also refrain please from using words like 'consideration
etc' ..... we have gone way way past that point ....   They don't know the
meaning of the word. If they did, I wouldn't still be writing long winded
e-mails.

I'm off now to do something positive .... we have 6 students in house and
equipment to be fixed, a new studio wall to paint and a potential donor to
see.

Regards

Nick Wright

  _____