[cma-l] mobile technology and community radio

London Chinese Radio admin at londonhuayu.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 22:42:32 BST 2011

Hi everyone,

Sounds a bit vague, but I would be interested in hearing what use community
stations are making of mobile technology.
So the first question is "what do I mean by mobile technology", to which the
answer must be "somehow using a mobile phone to interact with a radio
station or it's output"

I once saw a presenter who used to take calls to his mobile which he had
plugged into the mixing desk (that was on Sound Radio) it worked really
well, and he did get quite a number of calls.
Some of our presenters come and want to play music from their iphones, so I
guess that's another use. Once, before we had a telephone hybrid, we had a
presenter who did a phone in, and held the mobile up to the mic, that worked
pretty well too....
But more importantly, listeners - do you take texts, SMS, facebook messages,
etc. How about people listening with their mobile phones?
Or what about using SMS services to contact large amounts of people en
masse...? Anyone had experiences with that?
Does anyone know of any way to broadcast to mobile phones and avoid huge
costs to listeners on mobiles?

I'm about to start a mobile technology project, and I'd like to hear any
success stories, maybe we can all share what works well. I certainly will be
more than happy to share any results from the project.

Best regards to all,

Peter Vautier
London Chinese Radio

--