[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to community radio law

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 13 23:22:11 BST 2011

Clive
At the risk of being guilty of perpetual repetition, can I take you up on one point:

The restrictions on transmitter power to 50 watts and the "5km" radius for CR stations are unnecessarily restrictive. Stations should be able to make the case for covering a defined local community area and the transmitter power to do this should be agreed as a technical/engineering matter with OFCOM engineers. However, defining the whole of London or Manchester etc as your community would be taking it too far!

There never has been that hypothetical 50W/5km restriction.
It's a guideline.

It has always been the situation that ".......stations should be able to make the case for covering a defined local community area and the transmitter power to do this should be agreed as a technical/engineering matter ......
It's a distinct section of the Application document.

In simple terms, Ofcom says "Tell us the Community you wish to cover - and how you propose doing it.
If you look on Ofcom's published "TX Params", you'll see the stations that have asked for and got much higher powers and sites.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK