[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to community radio law

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 13 20:10:53 BST 2011

Hi Jaqui

Thanks for your note on the DCMS consultation. A
sustainable funding basis for the sector remains
the most pressing priority and whilst changes are
needed, adjustment to the advertising rules is
neither sufficient in itself, nor is it without
some risks. Clearly the specific restrictions on
stations overlapping with 'small' (less than 150k
TSA) commercial radios are not and have never
been justified, but the 50% rule does help assure
the character of community radio and its
distinctive treatment in law. It may be worth,
however, examing other approaches to this. For
example, Ireland and Italy, have a limit on how
much advertising may be carried on air on
community radio (5 mins and 3 mins per hour respectively).

I know some will argue for the complete removal
of these restrictions and parity with commercial
radio but that does tend to undermine the case
for a proper funding mechanism for the sector.
The most significant failure of the 2003
Communications Act is the provision for a
Community Radio Fund. This is partly a failure of
implementation but it is also linked to the fact
the legal provisions are not sufficiently robust.
We argued at the time, and I strongly recommend
we do so again, that a 'Community Media Fund'
should be set up as a properly resourced
independent public body, along the lines of the
Gaelic Media Service http://www.mgalba.com/
(income £12.7m, 2011) which is also detailed in
the 2003 Act:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/part/3/chapter/1/crossheading/the-gaelic-media-service

There is one significant change I think CMA
should make in its position today and that is to
now unambigiously demand that the Community Media
Fund should be partly funded through the BBC
licence fee, at a rate that is an explicit
percentage of the licence fee revenue as a whole.
At the same time, the fund, independently
administered, should be free to raise contributions from other sources.

The fact that the previous government was
prepared to take £130m of BBC licence fee money
for local news content, and the present
government has announced £40m of BBC licence fee
money for local TV, means there should be no
ideological objection from either the government or the opposition.

We just need the political will.

Best wishes

Steve