[cma-l] UK Radio Player

Toby Whitehouse toby at gaydio.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 11:06:26 BST 2011

Hi all,

Here at Gaydio in Manchester, we yesterday became the first community station available through Radioplayer.

After early registration it was a really easy process for us, which was handled from the tech side by our brilliant web guys at Gmedia - http://www.gmedia.co.uk/

I think, like our FM frequency, it's really important that we're available through the same platforms as BBC and commercial stations.

The search interface on Radioplayer is actually quite helpful if used correctly. I agree that a search for 'community radio' wouldn't be very fruitful mind - but I also think it would be a strange search term in the first place. I think it would be much more likely for someone to put in their specific community of interest rather than just 'community' in general. Likewise, you can do a fair bit on the geographical side of things too, from post codes to place names. It will even search presenters/genres/artists/content themes etc that you might make available through on demand audio. We've not yet had chance to optimise our search terms but you can put a lot of information in there to target potential listeners.

It's already BBC and commercial standard, but looking to the future, I think Radioplayer will become an even bigger part of how people access radio on different devices. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Toby Whitehouse
Director
Gaydio