[cma-l] comty radio and campaigning

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 16:27:10 GMT 2011

I think there's a legal line to be trodden there Jaqui, and it needs to be
born in mind. There is a fine difference between honestly reporting the
actions and opinions of campaigners cand their targets, and actually
expressing an opinion as a station in a campaign.

As well as the legal requirement not to give undue prominence to the views
of any particular person or organization, it is also completely illegal for
a radio station to broadcast its own opinions on matters of political or
industrial controversy; and matters relating to current public policy. It is
also forbidden to carry 'political' advertising that seeks to influence the
decisions of a statutorily appointed body carrying out its statutory
functions, or to carry advertising that seeks the same.

The only exception to these prohibitions is where the matters it is seeking
to influence have a direct bearing on the proper operations of the station.
In other words you can campaign for example on a change in CR requlations,
but a radio station can't advertise a campaign for a council to change
library opening hours.

NB This is not Ofcom regulation or licence conditions, it is the law, as
spelt out in the Communications Act.

There are seven identified areas covered by this prohibition, and I'm sure
we all know the first one, which is seekign to influence the outcome of
elections. But the other that is most likely to be tripped across is the
fourth: "influencing the policies or decisions of persons on whom public
functions are conferred by or under the law of the United Kingdom or of a
country or territory outside the United Kingdom;"

And the range of "public functions" and definition of "political" are far
wider than you may think. We were once asked to carry an advert by a local
very moderate group seeking to change a decision by the National Trust for
Scotland at a local NTS property, but after seeking advice were told that it
would most definitely be illegal for us to carry the advert, which sought to
do nothing more than publicize a meeting by the campaigners.

This is of course all in stark contrast to the position with newspapers,
where the field is wide open for this sort of thing, and indeed it forms the
staple of many publications. A great historic anomoly in our legislation if
you ask me.

I'm not sure what the legal position would be for a station campaigning on,
say, its own website, rather than on the air. It would be useful to the
community broadcasters if CMA could get legal guidance on that.

Alex