[cma-l] Local election interviews

andrew.wass at talk21.com andrew.wass at talk21.com
Mon Feb 28 10:24:57 GMT 2011

Hi Trevor,
Not heard of this before, and no expert but here are some thoughts..........Has
the election been 'declared' yet? date announced, candidates announced etc.....
If not is he/she refering to the period until that point, that seems fair enough
(you wouldn't know whos' standing untill this point)  If not and collectively
they have no intention of talking to the media at all before election day this
seems absolutely wrong and denies voters the right to hear from and question
their representatives!

There will be a named person who is organising the election at the Council
(can't recall their pre-election title, but they are also the returning officer
on the night!) We had some procedural questions about an election and found that
person very knowledgable about the law and process, he/she may also hold a lot
of influence with the parties standing for election.

Might be worth approaching the Local Government Association and/or Ofcom
legal dept (again I've found helpful) or look up the

Representative of the Peoples Act !! Take your findings to them and see if they
change their minds! If not I'm sure there would be a wider interest in their
collective stance to accountability! Don't let them off the hook ...... and good
luck!

Best Wishes
Andy Wass
The Panjabi Centre/Desi Radio