[cma-l] BBC Radio 5Live wants you to do phone ins for them - We're All in This Together

Phil Edmonds lists at philedmonds.info
Tue Apr 26 18:46:11 BST 2011

First off the age old disclaimer - what follows is my own personal view
not that of any organisation I am involved with.

I'm not sure there are that many Community Radio stations that do 'phone
in' programmes? At least not phone ins in the traditional BBC local
radio style.

Unless there is lots of cold hard cash up for grabs for the stations
this seems like a lot of effort. Plus things such as "most off-topic
caller" - sound like "have a laugh at Radio Smallville".

Looking at the fairly broad based topics listed I'm sure many Community
Radio stations have already broadcast content touching these topics. I'd
suggest that clips of regular Community Radio stations output, be that
studio discussions, recorded interviews or whatever could be of interest
to a wider audience.

For a 5live show to go to a sequence of "here's what the people of
Smallville have been saying on Small FM on today's topic..." would make
for both just as interesting listening, and for a small fee would be
worthwhile for a Community Radio station to spend a little time
collating clips of material already broadcast.

This would also promote the Community station well - as it will be
highlighting what they normally broadcast - not a one off specially
engineered phone-in just for 5Lives benefit.

Phil.