[cma-l] BBC Radio 5Live wants you to do phone ins for them - We're All in This Together

Nic Millington NicM at ruralmedia.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 08:48:48 BST 2011

I couldn't agree more, Cathy.

Nic

-----Original Message-----
From: cma-l-bounces at mailman.commedia.org.uk on behalf of Cathy Aitchison
Sent: Thu 4/28/2011 12:19 PM
To: Prashant Singh
Cc: cma-l
Subject: Re: [cma-l] BBC Radio 5Live wants you to do phone ins for them - We're All in This Together

I think the point that needs the most careful consideration is this one:

"Each week, a community station runs a phone-in on the topic.  We then
distill the on-air calls in a chart style rundown of 'most insightful
caller', 'biggest rant' and 'most off topic comment'.  It's actually a
way of hearing the opinions that otherwise wouldn't be aired on national
radio and a way of reflecting the diversity of voices via radio stations
across the UK."

Now think about your listeners, especially those regular callers who
would fit into some of the more uncomplimentary categories. Think of
reality shows where the editing can make "ordinary people" look like
idiots or losers.

Why do we need a "chart style rundown" format in order to find a way of
"reflecting the diversity of voices via radio stations across the UK"?
What gives a national producer the right to judge people they've never
met (and who may not have been fully aware they would be judged in such
a way)?

Your heart may sink when some of your regulars call in, but hopefully
you don't send them up or make them feel small when they mount their
hobby horses or go off-topic on your show. Do you really want any of
your listeners, however annoying, to run the risk of being humiliated on
national radio?

Don't forget that you'll be the one picking up the pieces with those
real people in your real area.

Just a thought.

Cathy Aitchison
Refugee Week Radio