[cma-l] Station raises £80k for floods

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 14:19:09 BST 2010

Source: http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6302

An inner-city Leeds community radio station has raised three times its
initial fund-raising target for the Pakistan flood appeal within a
month.

Listeners to Radio Asian Fever (RAF -
http://www.radioasianfever.co.uk/) - in one of the most deprived areas
of the city - donated £80,000 towards the cause.

RAF manager Jabbar Karim, who launched the not-for-profit station
three years ago, told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "Our target was
£30,000 if we were lucky, but the community has been absolutely
fantastic and we want to say a big thank you to everyone who has
donated. It wasn't even big donations on the whole, it was £10 here
and £20 there."

The total of £81,329.32 has now been handed over to Islamic Relief
who've already raised £10m nationally.

Around 20 million people have been affected by the Pakistan floods
with the aftermath now leaving people suffering from malaria.

Zia Salik, northern fund-raiser for Islamic Relief, told the paper:
"It was quite phenomenal. The response we got is a credit to the
listeners of RAF. It's unusual because it's a small community radio
station, not a commercial one, but it just goes to show that the
community trusts RAF and Jabbar a lot."

Source: http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6302

\\

Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5