[cma-l] DAB Switchover

London Chinese Radio admin at londonhuayu.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 13:26:19 BST 2010

With regards to economies of scale, I agree that most internet streaming is
one-listener-one-stream. But multicast technologies are available, and also
- dare I say it? - Bit Torrent offers a really workable solution. The
problem is, there are too many pirates on the net (ie most "normal" people)
who downloaded too much illegal music/video with Bit Torrent, and now it is
associated with this, and treated as a pariah.

But Bit Torrent DNA <http://www.bittorrent.com/dna> offers a real solution,
with free, secure, content delivery which does give you economies of scale.
It also gives you stats and more. It's just such a pity that things like DAB
have been funded when other solutions have received little attention.

The impression I get is that the govt/big cheeses/bbc/commercial radio *don't
want* the internet to be the medium of content delivery, because if that
happens, suddenly it's a level playing field, and they can't price us out of
the competition by building expensive multiplexes and regulating it with
expensive application processes, or restricting available frequencies.

Maybe I'm wrong, it would be nice.

Peter Vautier
London Chinese Radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuFUVLH3Scg