[cma-l] BBC RadioPlayer launch announced - and HD Radio too!

mark polden markianpolden at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:28:12 BST 2010

What is the value of this given the fact that our listeners can go to our website to listen at very little cost to us.
Mark PoldenFlame CCR

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:11:48 +0100
From: jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
To: bill.best at commedia.org.uk
CC: cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Subject: Re: [cma-l] BBC RadioPlayer launch announced - and HD Radio too!

Dear all

Licensed community radio is part of Radio Player but we are still negotiating with them on the fee to be charged - they will not let our sector be on Radio Player for free.  Figures bandied about are £300 per annum.  We are trying to get them to just charge an initial set up fee, hopefully less than that amount as once you are on there is no particular reason to charge on a ongoing basis.  We are also discussing with them a much smaller fee anyway for RSL holders.

We do think Radio Player is a good idea for our sector to be on but I am sure you would agree the price has to be right, given that the median income for the sector is around £69,000 (Ofcom last Annual Report).

The Player has not actually been launched yet, just the preview at the Radio Festival yesterday.  We will keep you posted re any developments.

Best wishes

Jaqui

Jaqui Devereux
Director, Community Media Association