[cma-l] BBC RadioPlayer launch announced - and HD Radio too!

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Wed Oct 20 10:11:48 BST 2010

Dear all

Licensed community radio is part of Radio Player but we are still
negotiating with them on the fee to be charged - they will not let our
sector be on Radio Player for free.  Figures bandied about are £300 per
annum.  We are trying to get them to just charge an initial set up fee,
hopefully less than that amount as once you are on there is no particular
reason to charge on a ongoing basis.  We are also discussing with them a
much smaller fee anyway for RSL holders.

We do think Radio Player is a good idea for our sector to be on but I am
sure you would agree the price has to be right, given that the median income
for the sector is around £69,000 (Ofcom last Annual Report).

The Player has not actually been launched yet, just the preview at the Radio
Festival yesterday.  We will keep you posted re any developments.

Best wishes

Jaqui

Jaqui Devereux
Director, Community Media Association