[cma-l] 50% Rules - CMA position

idea idea at mcr1.poptel.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 11:37:29 BST 2010

Hi Jaqui

Have recently been appointed as CEO (or project manager etc) at WFM FM.
We're
not currently troubled by this ratio, but we might be in the near future.

I'm not surprised at the 90% indifference (or support) for the 50:50
rule. I guess this
has been a far-fetched hypothetical for many stations and so they're
content with the
existing rule. Why wouldn't they be?

Q1. Should 90% "contents", for whom this is a hypothetical, stymie the
10% for whom
it is (so far) of more practical importance. Should stations for whom
this is not an
issue have a veto and prevent progress for those in a different place?;

It may be that this latter group grows under the new government in two
different
ways (i) stations successfully replace grants with commercial earnings
or (ii) stations
don't succeed in that, shed staff and retreat into a more volunteer-led
model cf pirates
where on air ads could bulk up vs the whole revenue.

Q2. If there is even a possibility of these changes or simply on a
philosophical basis
couldn't CMA make the case for other metrics on "social gain" than this
(unsatisfactory) financial analogue?

Best wishes

Chris Paul

WFM Communtiy Media Limited