[cma-l] 50% Rules - CMA position

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 13:49:59 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Clive Glover <clive.glover at btconnect.com>

Jaqui

The discussions on the 50% rule drifted into matters of transmitter
powers and coverage.

I have already said that I don't think the 50% rule is a real
practical problem for most stations because of the ability to include
an "income" from volunteer time. This only works if you have lots of
volunteers doing lots of work for you of course!

But we have also moved our transmitter to a much better site. I have
to say that OFCOM - both in administrative and technical departments -
were very supportive of this and  allowed us to increase our coverage
as a result. Obviously we had to make a case and it all took some
months because of frequency clearances etc. But we did it and we are
very grateful and benefiting from this in terms of greater awareness,
leading to increased advertising too!

I would advise any other CR stations to consult with OFCOM and just
ask for exactly what they want (as long as they can make a reasonable
case) in terms of extra power or better coverage. There might be valid
reasons why they would say no but I would expect at least a
sympathetic hearing and probably some compromise at least.

Clive Glover
Radio Verulam, St Albans