[cma-l] 50% Rules - CMA position

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 12 10:43:38 BST 2010

Dear all

We at the CMA note the concerns around the 50% rules re on air advertising
and sponsorship.  However, whenever we consult the sector on what changes if
any you would like to see in these and other regulations for community
radio, more than 90% of respondents reply that they do not want that
particular rule changing.  Therefore it would seem there is a clear steer
for the CMA position on the 50% advertising and sponsorship rules, that that
rule should remain in place.

Re greater transmission power and coverage, some stations have negotiated
with Ofcom to increase these, but at the moment Ofcom will only consider
this issue on a case by case basis.  We will continue dialogue with them on
this issue, on behalf of individual stations and the sector as a whole.

We have had discussions with Ofcom looking at simplifying evidencing of
social gain using output rather than input models, again we will continue
this discussion with them.  However, changing the regulations on this would
require primary legislation to amend the Communications Act 2003, so it is
not in Ofcom's power to change the rules, it is a matter for government.  We
will bring this point to the attention of DCMS should the majority of the
sector think it appropriate.  Please let us know your thoughts on the
matter.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes

Jaqui