[cma-l] 10Radio - Somerset is GO! 5pm - the Big Society!

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Wed May 26 15:43:10 BST 2010

Today on Somerset is GO!, 10Radio asks 'what is the Big Society' and
does it offer anything new for the residents and organisations of
Somerset.  Some people say we've been here before, while others see it
as the rolling back of an intrusive state.  Tune in to find out more.

And an anecdotal tale that has emerged while we were recording the
programme.  We had hoped to have an interview with Nat Wei who is the
government’s new advisor on the Big Society. Last week we rang the
Cabinet Office, where Nat is based, to ask for an interview, a request
that was greeted with enthusiasm by the press officer, and who said
he’d call us back with arrangements. By Friday we’d heard nothing and
in the end had to call back three times, each time being told that it
was being dealt with and they'd call back.  They never did.  If we’d
been told that Nat was too busy, or community radio stations were not
a media priority well, we could have lived with that. But to tell us
one thing, and then do the opposite does rather indicate that in
Cabinet Office at least, the walk is not yet the same as the talk. And
sadly that reflects the experience of many community and voluntary
sector organisations trying to work with governments and councils of
all colours over many years.  So is the Big Society really anything
more than its acronym suggests?

Email in any comments during the show to studio at 10radio.org and we'll
try to include them at the end.

Repeated 12 noon Saturday, and podcasted next week.

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
105.3fm
http://www.10radio.org

West St
Wiveliscombe
Somerset
TA4 2JP

Studio and office tel: 01984 624 137

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset,
TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252