[cma-l] CMA Proposals for Jeremy Hunt - Secretary of State for Culture, O...

Stevensuttie at aol.com Stevensuttie at aol.com
Thu May 13 20:20:48 BST 2010

Hi Trevor,

I think that if you feel so strongly about this - then you really must
stand for CMA council.

I once felt that this CMA list was an excellent forum which  enabled
like-minded individuals with a common goal to come together, share  ideas, support
each other and ultimately - to bolster and reinforce a solid  network of
community media practitioners up and down the UK. But my view has  changed.

In the past 12 months, I've read so many passionate and enthusiastic
e-mails and debates here from various members, suggesting fantastic  ideas and in
itiatives - from setting up a CMA annual awards event, to top  slicing the
BBC license fee - and loads of great topics inbetween. Unfortunately  though,
in my opinion - these ideas and passionate discussions just end up as  old
e-mails in my "old e-mails" folder. It doesn't turn into action. I  really
don't think that any of this energy is used for any real purpose and  that's
a real shame.

You said "Instead of moaning like Minnies, or suggesting we are all
doomed, let's get out there - and support a new government that suggests it  wants
greater public participation. It's what we do best - better than anyone
else - and given a modicum of support we can make any government look better
than even the very best sliced bread. Any government must recognise our
value,  or face the consequences."

We are all up to our necks in our work, as we all know - so its  very
difficult to form a "united front" really. I think that last years  ill-fated
Prime Ministers Petition episode demonstrates this point  very well. The
petition did more damage than good.

On the most recent debate on this forum, (BBC Top Slice) I suggested that
it might be a good idea if we came up with a USP for the sector, and that we
 collated all of our information about volunteer numbers and other key
information so that we could present a national "in a nutshell" overview of
what  the sector is actually delivering. I recall Jaqui sending an e-mail to
this  list that said she was happy to collate the info.

And then it all goes quiet.

In the time that has elapsed since Jaqui made that offer - I'm sure that we
 could have all sent her our info, (not just FM licensed stations, but the
entire  community media sector) and that this info could have been
calculated and  made public. If that was the case, I'm sure that Jaqui's letter to
the in  coming Secretary of State for DCMS could say that "for X pounds per
annum, our  sector provides X opportunities for X people, whilst X charities,
community  groups and third sector companies benefitting from X in-kind
support,  throughout the UK."

I can only guess what each X stands for - and I'm guessing that each X
represents very significant numbers.

Its also true that I can only guess how many responses Jaqui has had to
this initiative too. And I'm guessing that its few.

So Trevor, by all means show your passion and commitment to the sector, and
 stand for the CMA council, I will support your endeavour 100%. I think
that your  first major job should be to try and enthuse all of the sectors
managers and  directors to view any notion of a "united front" with a bit more
enthusiasm. I don't really think that it is the CMA's responsibility to
ensure  that all stakeholders are pitching in - and its grossly unfair to lay
any blame  at the CMA's door - as some members appear to be doing in recent
e-mails.

Kindest  Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM Salford City  Radio

office 0161 793 2939
mobile 07772 355 852
: :::_  WWW.SALFORDCITYRADIO.ORG_ (http://www.salfordcityradio.org/)  ::: :
WINNERS -  Community Award - Salford Business Awards 2009