[cma-l] Community Radio Future In Doubt?

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 09:20:21 GMT 2010

The whole debate over DAB, FM OR online can be really misleading. Any
suggestion that mobile broadband is going to viable alternative to
broadcast in the near future is plainly wrong. The operators are
currently moving to a position where they are capping usage, so
strapping a mobile handset to the dashboard to listen to the radio is
not going to happen for most of us - it will cost the listener too
much. Not everyone has a smartphone, in fact many of our listeners may
not even be on 3G and so can be excluded from all but at home online
listening. Plus, for every listener we add online we add costs in
bandwidth and PRS.  So, let's not get carried away with the thought
that this might save us all. Online gives us a handy bolt-on to our
main offer, it's still not a viable alternative to FM. Things will
change....but not immediately.

I agree that current DAB standards using Band III do not suit the
needs of the community radio sector, or indeed that of all but the
heritage and regional commercial stations. Yet, we don't seem to
talking to them? The likes of UKRD are rejecting DAB as unfit for
purpose but so far have failed to table alternative plans, so there's
not going to be change there.

We are stuck with DAB, like it not and I can't see the current
government interfering in that market and forcing any change. So, that
leaves us with analogue. But this need not be a bad thing, Alan
mentions Radio Luxembourg and it's awful signal. We listened because
of content and our USP ought to be content too.

Forget the platform, content is king. Until they stop making FM
radio's, our future is secure and is getting better the more that
commercial radio merges, shares and networks.

Richard
Uni of Sunderland / 107 Spark FM