[cma-l] Community Radio Future In Doubt?

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:04:05 GMT 2010

This was written by a journalist.
That should tell you enough.
If you analyse the prose you'll see that he is either under-informed or has a reason to be biassed or probably both.
Ofcom has very clearly stated that there are no plans to cease broadcasting on FM.
There will be no FM "switchover".
That is a term used for the conversion from analogue to digital television and it does not apply to radio.
There will be no FM "switchoff"
It is highly unlikely that the FM spectrum will be "sold off" as there is effectuively no demand for it and doing so would isolate the UK format of spectrum usage from the rest of the world.
Major services will migrate to digital terrestrial radio which will not be DAB long term buit the actual format is not agreed and won't be for a long time.
Those major services may choose to cease their FM transmissions when they are satisfied that their digital service has adequate listenership.
Clear now?