[cma-l] Streaming

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Apr 9 12:33:18 BST 2010

Hi Trevor

Many thanks for your email.

Please see my inline replies below.

On 9 April 2010 07:43, Trevor Lockwood <trevor at felixstoweradio.co.uk> wrote:
> The Radio Streaming Services looks slick and professional.

Ok, I've been sitting on a new slicker Canstream website for a while
now.  I'll launch it over the weekend :o)

> It raises questions for me - why can't we (in the UK) do something similar, perhaps
> even better, America is not always best.

We already do - we're on the case with an iPhone app and please see
below for news of some innovative goodness...

> We use Canstream but would like to
> stream more than one channel and need to keep costs down low.

You'd like more than one broadcast stream for Felixstowe Radio - why?
If you'd like us to automatically transcode your MP3 stream to Ogg
Vorbis or a low bitrate for mobiles then give us a shout - we already
do this for some Canstreamers.

> We have the
> expertise, we have the technology, we have the initial market - especially
> if it was included in the CMA membership package.

I'm afraid it really would not be commercially supportable to provide
all your streaming requirements plus CMA membership for £50 per annum
- the sums don't add up, unless you mean something else.

Canstream prices start from £25 per month for members of the Community Media
Association (CMA).  Our prices are fixed and there are no hidden charges
to make it easier to budget for your project. We seek to give the
overall best value
when compared to other service providers and we include as standard:

- fixed price usage, no hidden surcharges
- free benchmarked webstats
- telephone and email support
- free encoder software for PC and Mac
- stable, secure and reliable open source streaming platform
- dedicated high-speed connectivity on the Internet backbone from
Telehouse, London
- link from the CMA website on request
- free Flash MP3 player to embed on your website
- support with PPL and MCPS-PRS returns
- subscriptions support the strategic work of the CMA
- global community broadcasting

In terms of expertise and innovation, Canstream has recently launched
a new service: ALISA (Automated LIsten Again). ALISA has been designed
to fill the gap between your online streaming and your Listen Again
platform.  With ALISA  you can record your station's output and
*automatically* upload it to the Listen Again platform.  Simply
complete an web-based schedule with details of your shows, and
everything you wish to record gets automatically uploaded for your
users to listen again when they choose.

We think that ALISA represents a quantum leap forward for internet
broadcasters and we believe that Canstream is the only streaming
provider in the world that can currently offer this facility (well,
we've not seen anyone else doing it!).

Please contact the office for a 7-day free trial: 0114 279 5219

ALISA is only available to Canstream internet broadcasters and has
been developed in-house.

> Community broadcasters need funds, collectively perfecting systems such as
> this could open up a huge market, and we could relax a little.

Yes, resources, resources, resources.... For example, there are only
two of us in the office today running the entire shooting match ;o)

> I'm asking every parliamentary candidate if they will support CMA members
> receiving 10% of the Licence Fee - so that we can spearhead a cultural
> revolution as the BBC is now moribund, hidebound, bureaucratic and wasting
> our money. My lot have been responsive. Try yours.

Increased funding for community broadcasters is a no brainer - I'm
with you there!

> Trevor Lockwood

Please give me a shout Trevor and we'll see what more we can do for
Felixstowe Radio - and that goes for everyone else too.

All the best

Bill
http://photo365.commedia.org.uk
Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5