[cma-l] Streaming

Marilyn Hyndman marilyn at northernvisions.org
Fri Apr 9 13:18:34 BST 2010

Hi Trevor and Bill,
Well if CMA are up for this, Bill, then can you get a campaign brief
together over the weekend?
See how many of our would be MPs will sign up for this 'CMA members to
receive 10% of the Licence Fee'
Then we can all lobby.
Now is the time to do it ... good publicity for community media at
least.
As Trevor once said of another issue -
This needs to be a 'national' campaign. This is no time to be parochial.
Best wishes,
Northern Visions

On 9 Apr 2010, at 12:33, Bill Best wrote:

> Hi Trevor
>
> Many thanks for your email.
>
> Please see my inline replies below.
>
> On 9 April 2010 07:43, Trevor Lockwood
> <trevor at felixstoweradio.co.uk> wrote:
>> The Radio Streaming Services looks slick and professional.
>
> Ok, I've been sitting on a new slicker Canstream website for a while
> now.  I'll launch it over the weekend :o)
>
>> It raises questions for me - why can't we (in the UK) do something
>> similar, perhaps
>> even better, America is not always best.
>
> We already do - we're on the case with an iPhone app and please see
> below for news of some innovative goodness...
>
>> We use Canstream but would like to
>> stream more than one channel and need to keep costs down low.
>
> You'd like more than one broadcast stream for Felixstowe Radio - why?
> If you'd like us to automatically transcode your MP3 stream to Ogg
> Vorbis or a low bitrate for mobiles then give us a shout - we already
> do this for some Canstreamers.
>
>> We have the
>> expertise, we have the technology, we have the initial market -
>> especially
>> if it was included in the CMA membership package.
>
> I'm afraid it really would not be commercially supportable to provide
> all your streaming requirements plus CMA membership for £50 per annum
> - the sums don't add up, unless you mean something else.
>
> Canstream prices start from £25 per month for members of the
> Community Media
> Association (CMA).  Our prices are fixed and there are no hidden
> charges
> to make it easier to budget for your project. We seek to give the
> overall best value
> when compared to other service providers and we include as standard:
>
> - fixed price usage, no hidden surcharges
> - free benchmarked webstats
> - telephone and email support
> - free encoder software for PC and Mac
> - stable, secure and reliable open source streaming platform
> - dedicated high-speed connectivity on the Internet backbone from
> Telehouse, London
> - link from the CMA website on request
> - free Flash MP3 player to embed on your website
> - support with PPL and MCPS-PRS returns
> - subscriptions support the strategic work of the CMA
> - global community broadcasting
>
> In terms of expertise and innovation, Canstream has recently launched
> a new service: ALISA (Automated LIsten Again). ALISA has been designed
> to fill the gap between your online streaming and your Listen Again
> platform.  With ALISA  you can record your station's output and
> *automatically* upload it to the Listen Again platform.  Simply
> complete an web-based schedule with details of your shows, and
> everything you wish to record gets automatically uploaded for your
> users to listen again when they choose.
>
> We think that ALISA represents a quantum leap forward for internet
> broadcasters and we believe that Canstream is the only streaming
> [...]

Marilyn Hyndman
Northern Visions/NvTv
23 Donegall Street
Belfast
BT1 2FF

Tel: 028 9024 5495 ext 207
Fax: 028 9032 6608

NvTv
Belfast Community Television
Free-to-Air on Channel 62/Freq:799.276MHz
Live on line: www.nvtv.co.uk

www.northernvisions.org