[cma-l] [comradio-l] Radio Academy podcast

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:31:52 BST 2009

well Alan

Of course the CR Fund is way too small - and of course there shd be no
protection for small ILR stations via station or advertising bans

But I'm guessing that you'd like to see a homogenised, conglomerated - semi
commercial community sector...

Because that's what we'll get if advertising is the main route to revenue
and joint ownership is permitted... [there are many ways to get economies of
scale without joint ownership]

And no route to digital - that's because DAB doesnt do local so it's useless
for us.

Far better to have a retained FM allocation after larger stations have gone
to DAB - and then to the Web when the Digital Divide is history.

There are big flaws in the regulation but the free market will kill the
sector stone dead

best wishes

Phil

2009/10/12 Alan Coote <alan.coote at btinternet.com>

> Having listened to the Podcast I have to say I totally disagree with the
> statement made by Jaqui that community radio benefits from the current
> regulations.
>
> There is no evidence that this is the case. In fact to the contrary,
> current
> regulations has well and truly placed Community Radio as a 3rd class
> citizen
> behind the BBC and commercial radio.
>
> With a woefully inadequate community radio fund, an arbitrary limit on
> coverage, no realistic path to digital and no economies of scale because of
> limits on ownership, then its beggars belief that the regulations are in
> any
> way helping the sector.
>
> Commercial radio must be laughing all the way the their deregulated future.
>

> Alan

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net