[cma-l] Proposed Discussion with Ben Bradshaw, Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport

GRIFFITHS, Jason jgriffiths at glos.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 11:28:43 BST 2009

I agree with Phil.

Sustainable funding for community radio is the key issue, but more revenue
from commercials risks destroying the distinctive nature of the sector.

Commercial radio would lobby very hard (with some justification?) against
it.

Jason

Jason Griffiths
Course Leader Radio Production
UNIVERSITY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE
Pittville Studios
Albert  Road
Cheltenham
GL52 3JG

01242 715094

On 10/06/2009 10:42, "Phil Korbel" <phil.korbel at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Ian & List
>
> I agree with 2-4 and want to see all protection for small commercial
> stations removed [especially as their regulation is being eased up -
> probably] but I fervently believe in the need to put a quota on
> advertising revenues to prevent community stations simply ending up
> sounding like commercial ones in order to get advertising.  Whether it's
> 50% or 60% I'm not too bothered about but the very distinctiveness of
> community radio is under threat if that quota is abandoned.
>
> bests
>
> Phil

-
‘Number one in the Green League Table; committed to sustainability’
This email is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error please notify the sender and delete it from your computer.
The University of Gloucestershire is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 06023243.  Registered office: The Park, Cheltenham, GL50 2RH
-