[cma-l] Proposed Discussion with Ben Bradshaw, Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 16:11:06 BST 2009

If you have the opportunity to put some points to him regarding the
furtherance of Community Radio - I would suggest that they are:

1 - The total revision of the advertising restrictions on Community
Radio stations as being a severe and unnecessary handicap to their
financial viability.

2 - The speeding up of the Frequency Clearance process by removing the
present obstacles of the excessive time currently taken by the BBC, the
ARB and the EBU/CCIR to carry out the required formalities.

3 - The revision by Ofcom of its restrictions on the use of frequencies
adjacent to other broadcasters, particularly the removal of now
unnecessary guard bands, the revision of 2nd, 3rd and 4th adjacent
relative power levels and the removal or stringent revision of
restrictions imposed by the concept of IF imaging.

4 - The encouraging of Ofcom to actively and efficiently remove all
illegal broadcasters, particularly in inner-city areas.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK