[cma-l] CMA Council meeting

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Aug 4 14:31:13 BST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: Richard Laurence <rjhlaurence at mac.com>

Hi Phil,

Just two thoughts:

1. Local TV on Freeview: can one or more local services be
accommodated on regional freeview multiplexes in place of the numerous
national shopping channels? Or if a dedicated "local" multiplex is
created in each area, will there be legislation to ensure the channels
on it remain local? Otherwise I can see "local" multiplex owners
selling the airtime to shopping channels.

2. FM: moving national radio off FM is madness as it will make tens of
millions of FM radios unable to receive national channels. The upshot
of that would be people who are forced to buy new digital radios would
have no incentive to go to FM to look for local stations which would
effectively be on an obsolete system. Either all stations of every
size are given DAB frequencies or they all stay on FM (my preferred
option). It ain't broke so don't fix it.

Cheers,

Richard Laurence