[cma-l] On-line Listener Figures

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Oct 21 11:02:48 BST 2008

Hi Peter

> From: "Chinese Radio London Huayu" <londonhuayu at gmail.com>
>
> I've been wrangling with these figures too.
>
> I use AW Stats, Webalizer, and Google Analytics, plus the Wordpress
> stats (as we are using this as our platform), and we get wildly
> varying results from all of them. Also, it shows how many people may
> have clicked on a link, but how much of the show did they listen to?

Here we've benchmarked AWStats versus Webalizer for streaming media
stats and there was only a +/-1% difference in the figures over nearly
a year which is statistically insignificant - so for streaming media
purposes we have absolute and complete faith in Webalizer.

With regard to Google Analytics it comes down to the difference
between tag-based versus log-based stats analysis.  With Google
Analytics you include a script on each page which could be disabled if
JavaScript is not enabled on the user's browser or if the page doesn't
load completely. Webalizer analyses the stats directly from the
logfile generated by the server.   Furthermore Google Analytics is
more strict about excluding search robots - so Google Analytics
figures always tend to be lower than log-file analysis.

Hope that helps and best regards

Bill
--
Technical Manager