[cma-l] preston bid

Murray Dawson murray at shmu.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 10:26:53 GMT 2008

Hi everyone,

I have to say I'm in complete agreement with Phil for once (just joking).

We were successfully secured £317,000 from the Big Lottery to support
our Community Radio station over the 5 years back in 2007.
We secured the funding based on the outcomes in terms of improved
quality of life for participants and the wider communities that we serve
(in our case the most disadvantaged communities in Aberdeen - yes there
are some!).
The fact that we were using community radio tool was not really that
important to them; it was the fact that we convinced them that we could
help them meet their goals (the Big Lottery's) through an exciting and
innovative approach.

Our application is available on our website for info
(http://www.shmu.org.uk/shared-resources.shtml) - feel free to have a
look, but to be honest the application that you see there was just the
start of the process.
What followed was over 8 hours on the phone to a Lottery adviser and a
revised document that outlined the key outcomes for the project and a
series of milestones to identify how each outcome would be delivered and
measured.

What both Preston and our success indicates though is the Big Lottery's
recognition that Community Radio can and does deliver in terms of their
funding criteria.  We do need to be able to deliver though (and as I
said earlier it's not really about radio - definitely 90% community, 10%
radio).

Good luck to everyone who's looking to apply.

All the best,

Murray

please reply to
murray at shmu.org.uk

Murray Dawson
Project Director
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 515013

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live on 99.8FM and at www.shmufm.net

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited Company - SC332413

This message is not intended to have contractual effect