[cma-l] NWDA Funding WAS Re: Fwd: Ofcom Update: Ofcom awards two community radio licences

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Nov 7 14:40:53 GMT 2008

The six Manchester stations and other community media projects in the
North West may also take advantage of the new Knowledge Transfer
Programme now open to entries - see below:

Businesses, charities and social enterprises from across the North
West are being urged to take advantage of a new £4 million funding
scheme.

Backed by European Regional Development Fund cash, Innovation Vouchers
worth up to £3,000 are available for SMEs to "purchase" expertise from
one of the region's colleges and universities.

The North West Regional Development Agency (NWDA) hopes the two-year
initiative will help increase innovative knowledge transfer activities
between business and academia, especially amongst groups that have
never been involved in such collaborations before.

Funding will be allocated through a random lottery basis, with 100
vouchers available during the first funding round (October 27 – 21
November), and another 100 up for grabs in round two, to be launched
in January.

Subsequent funding rounds will run on a quarterly basis, with the
possibility that the maximum value of the vouchers will increase to
£7,000.

Interested applicants are advised that funding secured through
Innovation Vouchers will be liable for VAT, although it's possible
that it could be reclaimed through the standard procedures. On the
maximum Innovation Voucher grant of £3,000, £525 in VAT would be
payable.

Launching the new programme, NWDA chief executive Steven Broomhead said:

"The North West has a rich and diverse knowledge base within public
and private sectors so our businesses have local access to hundreds of
experts in countless fields. We hope that by making introductions and
taking out some initial costs to businesses we can encourage
long-lasting, beneficial relationships."

Keith Burnley, executive director of the North West Universities
Association, added:

"Universities across the North West have a strong track record in
working with businesses and resolving commercial problems.

"We hope this voucher scheme will encourage more small businesses to
take advantage of the wealth of talent that is available to them
within educational establishments in the region and together we can
resolve business issues and drive productivity."

For further details about the Innovation Vouchers scheme and to make
an online application prior to round one's 21 November closing date,
visit:

http://www.nwdabusinessfinance.co.uk/innovation-vouchers