[cma-l] Sony's update

Phil Gibbons phil at bcfm.org.uk
Thu Jun 12 14:31:43 BST 2008

Hello all,

Myself and Joanne Schofield from Bristol Community FM met with Alan
Zafer and Allison Webb from Zafer Associates, and the two people who
organise the Sony Awards last week in London.

We took the many comments raised by CMA members on this forum. To save
writing a massive email, I will write up all the notes and submit this
to the CMA to possible post on the website in the near future, but here
are a few points raised.

It was a very positive meeting and after an hour and a half I think we
all learnt a bit about each other and started to discus how the
Community Radio sector could be better represented in future awards.

Without re-designing the categories, or patronising us, there was no
immediate 'fix', but as Alan Zafer pointed out Commercial radio was
totally under-represented some years ago and they worked to re-address
the balance with the BBC. We obviously have the Community award and the
station award under 300,000 (which is free to enter through the Nations
and regions held by the Radio Academy). The judges need to have a wider
representation from the community radio and education sectors - we were
assured this would happen, although it would be impossible to assign
certain judges to certain categories or entrants due to the way the
entries are divvied up.

As pointed out in Tim Blackmore's letter to the CMA, the awards are
still reasonably priced for an award ceremony of this size - this was
said again.

A level playing field was mentioned on several occasions, but Alan Zafer
accepts that we cannot devote the same amount of resources as BBC and
commercial stations can to these awards.

One interesting thing that they will commit to was the Chair of the
awards, Tim Blackmore, visiting the regions and offering free workshops
to Community radio stations on 'How to submit an entry and what the
judges are looking for' - How to win a Sony!   Up till now, this has
only been for commercial groups and regions of the BBC. This is a good
positive offer that we should capitalise on.

Will let you know when the full report is done.

Thanks for all your comments and requests before, and let's keep the
pressure on!

Phil
--
Phil Gibbons - Station Manager
phil at bcfm.org.uk

Bristol's only Community radio station - Your voice - Your choice!
93.2fm in Bristol
Online at: http://www.bcfm.org.uk

0560 1126659 - Office
0787 0467245 - Mobile