[cma-l] Digital Storage

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 2 17:02:02 BST 2008

I sat on a government committee 15 years ago when we were all very
concerned about digital archiving. After punch cards on main frames I
moved to 8 inch floppies on a Wang, and now I've hundreds of 3.5 disks
but no player.

It don't get any easier - but there is a very real danger that our
entire civilisation will, one day, be lost - when they run out of oil.

Does anyone use any free compression software - we need to get more
professional on a tight budget.

The government report is in a drawer in government storage, somewhere.
Nothing was ever done - it was going to cost money, and many brains hurt.

Trevor
Felixstowe Radio

Felixstowe Radio Community Interest Company
Registered Number 6419058
61 Gainsborough Road, Felixstowe IP11 7HS