[cma-l] Sony Awards & Community Radio

Steven Suttie Stevensuttie at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 10:34:35 BST 2008

Dear Jaqui, Phil and Ed, and All,

What an interesting topic!

I think that Ed has some valid points - but I disagree that awards are
so, so.

Our station was on air just 7 months when we came 2nd in the Salford
Business Awards "Community Business of the Year." This was a phenomenal
achievement... so my ego is satisfied with that. However, my ego isn't
all that important - but the success of my station is.

As a direct result of this success, our profile was lifted across the
city within days - great contacts were made, new advertisers recruited
and the awards were presented by Felicity Goody, (Media City UK) Hazel
Blears, (MP for Salford) and Councillor John Merry (leader of the City
Council.)

The local paper, delivered free to 90,000 letterboxes ran a two page
spread on us following this achievement. Most importantly of all - we
got over 20 new volunteer enquiries from this exposure.

So a national "CMA SONY RADIO AWARDS" exclusive to our unique industry
would be a phenomenal step forward for all of us.

It would have the SONY kudos, but exclude "todays better music mix" type
rubbish.

How it could be funded is another matter...but I hope all of my
community radio colleagues would agree that this could be a fantastic
event for networking, publicity and increasing our volunteers efforts in
what they do.

I believe this MUST happen!

Great work to all involved, particularly Jaqui for kick starting the
process!

Kindest Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM Salford City Radio
0161 793 2939 (Office) 07772 355852 (Mobile)
CHECK OUT: http://www.salfordcityradio.org