[cma-l] £135 Million Funding Boost Announced For Five Hours of Culture

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 12:32:14 GMT 2008

As part of the Government's ambitions to give young people in England
the chance to experience high quality arts and culture, a new £25
million 'Find Your Talent' scheme has been launched.

The scheme was announced last week by Culture Secretary Andy Burnham and
Children's Minister Ed Balls and will be implemented by a new body
called the Youth Culture Trust. It is accompanied by a £110 million
investment in the successful 'Creative Partnerships' scheme which allows
youngsters in schools to work with creative professionals such as
artists, writers and actors.

Taking part in cultural activities can have a huge impact on a child's
development and the moves are part of the Government's drive to unlock
the creative talent of all young people to give them the chance to learn
and to develop skills and appreciation.

The programme will be piloted in ten areas throughout the country and
will give young people the opportunity to discover and develop their
talents, ultimately offering five hours a week of arts and culture, both
in and outside of school.

Youngsters will be offered the chance to learn and experience a number
of cultural activities, such as performing on stage, attending museums
and heritage sites, learning a musical instrument, producing creative
writing and learning about new media and digital art.

Andy Burnham said:

"All children have creative talents and we want to ensure that they have
the opportunity to develop them. Theatre, film, music, museums and other
art forms can be life-changing for young people, broadening their
horizons and raising self-confidence and aspirations.

"There will be practical challenges in delivering this ambitious goal of
course, and these pilots will give us the chance to see what those
challenges are. But this is a fantastic opportunity for schools to build
on what they already do."

Ed Balls said:

"All children and young people should have the chance to experience top
quality culture - whether that is seeing a play or dance performance,
learning a musical instrument or producing some creative writing.

"Many of us remember the first ever live music we heard or the first
ever performance we saw. I want all young people to have the chance to
both experience and take part in creative activities to help them learn
and develop."

http://www.culture.gov.uk/