[cma-l] Please send examples of 'media literacy in action'

Cathy Aitchison cathy.aitchison at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 15 10:39:32 BST 2007

Hello everyone

I am looking for examples of 'media literacy in action' for a roundup report
which I am writing.  This was sparked off by discussions around the CMA's
excellent Comliteracy project (
http://www.commedia.org.uk/learning-and-skills/media-literacy/comliteracy/ )

The examples which I want now are the very concrete ones which show how
community media is already helping large numbers of people to become more
media literate (often without realising it!). ie.:
- more able to get involved with and play a role in matters which concern
them,
- more able to engage with and challenge authority,
- more able to develop and find an outlet for their creative talents
etc
- as well as more able to use new media.

For example:
- projects linking older and younger people - reminiscences, reconciliation,
swapping technology skills (eg mobile phones) etc
- drink awareness projects (or awareness projects on bullying, drugs, guns,
extremism etc), in which young people make their OWN awareness announcements
and programmes
- creative writing and drama projects with various vulnerable or
hard-to-reach groups, eg. teenage mothers, homeless women, refugees,
migrants etc.
- environment projects in which people voice their concerns and make their
own programmes about environmental issues, problems and solutions
- communications projects with schools/youth groups, especially those in
which young people who have difficulty with reading and writing have
blossomed and become enthused after learning and using radio
interviewing/reporting skills.
- projects in which citizens have used community media to challenge
decisions and refine planning applications in their local area
etc
etc

Please send them to me in the format below, with a link to your website or
blog wherever relevant.  I won't publish contact details.  Please also make
clear any other details which should not be published.

Many thanks
Cathy Aitchison
-----------------

Name:
Local authority (borough/county etc)
Address:
Email:
Phone:

Project name or brief description:
Activities carried out, how long for and when:
How funded?/Any project partners?
In a sentence, how did the project help participants become more media
literate?
Is it ongoing/Are you planning any followup?
Website/blog link: