[cma-l] Community & local radio 2.0

Salvatore Scifo S.Scifo at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Nov 8 19:42:55 GMT 2007

>From the Yahoo! 'creative-radio' mailing list:
Bruce Girard <boa at comunica.org>

How is your local or community radio station making use of the internet
and other ICTs?

The World Electronic Media Forum <http://www.wemfmedi a.org/> will take
place in Kuala Lumpur 10-11 December 2007 alongside the 3rd Global
Knowledge Conference and I've been asked to speak on a panel about the
"Role of 'own-time media'/'any place media' in the service of
development" . The panel description notes that:

"A rapidly growing number of people in the OECD countries listen to
radio content of their choice through podcasts on their iPod or
other MP3 player. This allows them to have access to high quality
content in the area of their specific interest and at a time and
place that doesn't conflict with their work and obligations. What
about the developing world? Is there a scope to use MP3 players
beyond urban music consumption, particularly to make specific high
quality content available to the poor and people in remote areas?
... The panellists will discuss some encouraging first lessons and
trends in a global and local context that is shaped by media
convergence. "

I'd like to use the opportunity to highlight some of the innovative ways
that local and community radio stations, particularly those in
developing countries, are using ICTs and mobile telephony to open up new
channels of communication with listeners and to enable new forms of
participation. If your independent local or community radio station, or
a station you know of, is using the internet or mobile telephony in an
innovative way, please send it to me. We will post the experiences on a
blog at http://comunica. org/radio2. 0

For more information, including examples of how radio stations are using
the internet to exchange independent news, enable community
participation, etc. visit http://comunica. org/radio2. 0

Bruce Girard

--
| Bruce Girard | www.comunica. org |
| tel: +598 2 410.2979 | mobile: +598 99 189.652 |

Salvatore Scifo,
Lecturer in Community Media
Media Information & Communication
Department of Applied Social Sciences
London Metropolitan University
Ladbroke House, Room LH 326
62-66 Highbury Grove
London N5 2AD

T: +44 20 7133 5305 (Switchboard: +44 20 7423 0000)

W: www.communitymedia.eu

Profile: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/dass/staff/salvatorescifo/

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo