[webcast-l] 209radio nominated for New Statesman New Media Award 2007

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 10:26:03 BST 2007

Fwd:

Subject: 209radio nominated for New Statesman New Media Award 2007

From: Karl Hartland <karl at 209radio.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:09:56 +0100

209radio, the Community Radio Station for Cambridge, has been accepted for
nomination in the 2007 New Statesman New Media Awards.

This is the 3rd year running that the station has been nominated, following
shortlist status in the 2006 award scheme.

2007 sees 209radio in the Information and Openness category:
http://www.newstatesman.com/nma/nma2007/nominations/information

The New Media Awards celebrate UK new media projects that benefit society,
government or democracy.

The key themes of this year's awards are "accessibility, usability and
interactivity".

The awards celebrate those who use new media for the benefit of others,
whether in their community or in society at large. Since 1998, these
awards have
promoted projects that embrace new technology, fresh thinking and creative
management in the UK.

The editor of the New Statesman, John Kampfner said: "As the hits on our own
website, http://www.newstatesman.com, have shot up by almost 150% since our
recent relaunch, we have seen first hand the power and potential
inherent in the
medium. We are delighted to be able to champion those who are using
technology
to make a real difference to society."

209radio Station Manager, Karl Hartland: "It's actually always a
surprise to be a New Statesman Award nominee and every year it's great
just to
be considered.  Our democratic, member-driven nature and very wide-spectrum
approach to Community Media are both building a unique radio station that
delivers benefit to an incredible range of people and communities in
Cambridge.
It would be great to finally launch on FM later this year and be able to say
that we are New Statesman Award winners for 2007."

The 209radio Management Committee would like to urge individuals and
organisations who have had contact with 209radio, as well as our
members, guests and listeners, to post supporting comments on the New
Statesman
site here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/nma/nma2007/nominations/200704050008

Further information:

About The New Statesman magazine
http://www.newstatesman.com/nsabout.htm

About the New Statesman New Media Awards
http://www.newstatesman.com/nma/nma2007/nma2007about.php

About 209radio
http://www.209radio.co.uk/about/