[webcast-l] Transmitting info from WI to the UK

Chris Peters kantboy at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 11:45:00 BST 2004

Hi John,

I've attempted to answer some of your questions....

1)   If 20,000 people logon to the server at one time how will this effect
performance.

This depends on the capacity of your host and your hosting plan. You may
have a host who will limit the number of users (this is based on pricing) in
which case, when the capacity of users is reached new users will be
rejected, or you may have a host that allows unlimited users (to a point!)
who will charge you per user. Alternatively you can lease a line, buy
servers and software and host it yourself - it all depends on the specifics
of the project.

2) How many people can log into one server at one time?

I think this is covered in the first answer...

3) There will be live streaming and prerecorded stuff. Would It be a better
idea to store them on different servers.

The live stream will not be stored (since its live!), although you can
archive it while you broadcast. If you do choose to archive it is best
stored at the source. All 'video-on-demand' can be stored locally and
broadcast to your host or stored on the hosts servers.

4) What would be the cheapest and best solution to achieve this.

There are many different hosts out there, and as I have mentioned, also the
opportunity to host and webcast yourself. You would need software such as
Windows Media Encoder 9, or similar software from Apple (www.apple.com) or
Real Netoworks (www.real.com). Talk to a hosting company first and explain
to them what you are looking for.... Here's an example:

https://www.playstream.com/services/work.aspx

Check out their showcase.

Hope this helps,

Chris Peters