[webcast-l] Transmitting info from WI to the UK

David Hooper davidhooper at commedia.org.uk
Wed Apr 14 12:07:01 BST 2004

Hi John,

 > 1)   If 20,000 people logon to the server at one time how will this
 > effect performance.

20,000 people listening to a webcast would be huge, but would only
effect performance if your server setup was not capable of this kind of
capacity.  On software such as Icecast you can set the maximum number of
listeners you want to allow, this could be the number that your system
is able actually to manage.

A major thing you'd have to look at is what bit-rate you want to
broadcast on as this affects the quality of the audio and also the
bandwidth drain.  So in theory you could get twice as many listeners
using 32kbps then you would using 64kbps.  You could look at how much
bandwidth you can afford, experiment with your bit-rate to see how low
you can go without losing too much quality and look at what sort of
platform could support the amount of listeners you'd like to have.

You could possibly look at peer to peer webcasting like peercast, this
way you wouldn't be as reliant on your bandwidth as it uses that of
fellow listeners.

 > 2) How many people can log into one server at one time?

This depends on what system you use.  I couldn't tell you more on this
as I've not really looked into it but if you check with the software
people like RealNetworks, Apple (darwin server), Shoutcast/Icecast etc
you should be able to find there limits.

 > 3) There will be live streaming and prerecorded stuff. Would It be a
 > better idea to store them on different servers.

Separate servers would help with system performance but you'd have to
still share the bandwidth.

 > 4) What would be the cheapest and best solution to achieve this.

Mmmm, its really hard to say.  Peercast would be a cheap way to do it
but it would require listeners to use the peercast clients and be
willing to share their bandwidth.  I haven't used the software very much
so I could comment in stability etc.

Hope some of this helps

Regards
David.